Terrorist Attack at the Boston Marathon

By  | 

News has just arrived that there has been a terrorist attack in Boston during the Boston Marathon. There are currently two fatalities and 22 injured.

According to SKY news about three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later, reportedly on the other side of the street.

TV helicopter footage showed blood on the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.

Fox News reports that ball bearings have been found on the street.

Sky’s Mark White said: “The ball bearings are likely to be shrapnel, leading to a growing suspicion the blasts were deliberate.”


There are also reports that police have found unexploded devices in the area.

The explosions happened as the marathon was still taking place with some competitors pictured finishing the race and others being diverted away from the site.

Runners who had not finished made their way down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan.

Runners and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos.

Smoke rose from the explosions, through flags lining the route of the world’s oldest and most prestigious marathon.

The Marathon sports store was reportedly near where one of the blasts took place.

There were two boom sounds heard from inside the Fairmount Copley Plaza Hotel.


Race officials have locked down the hotel.

A photo has emerged which appeared to show the moment one of the blasts took place.

Police made their way through competitors as they ran towards the scene.

Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for tired runners.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose marathon number identified him as Frank Deruyter, who was not injured.

But marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area whose leg was hurt.

A Boston police officer was taken from the course with a bleeding leg injury.

Runner Laura McLean of Toronto said she heard two explosions outside the medical tent.

“There are people who are really, really bloody,” Ms McLean said. “They were pulling them into the medical tent.”



Discover more from The Global Zambian Magazine

Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.

Discover more from The Global Zambian Magazine

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading